We love the Horsham Gingerbread Bakehouse. Their biscuits are so moreish (and taste homemade) and Horsham Gingerbread Bakehouse are a fabulous producer and use lots of local ingredients. So we were delighted when they shared this easy-to-make and super tasty Sussex recipe.
Zesty Lemon Crunch
This pudding is like a cheesecake without the cheese, and with a softer, creamier topping than a traditional cheesecake. If you use Horsham Gingerbread biscuits for the base, it will also be gluten-free.
For the base
1 x 175 g packet of Sweet Sussex Thins (or Sussex Gingerbread Thins, or Sussex Lemon Puddle Thins)
50 – 100 g butter (salted or unsalted)
For the lemon topping
300 ml double or whipping cream
1 x can condensed milk (397 g)
4 x lemons
Finishing touches (if you want to!)
Strawberries or grated dark chocolate
- Crush the biscuits and mix them with melted butter. For a crumbly biscuit base use 50 g butter, for a more solid base (could be a bit challenging when eating!) use more butter.
- Line your greased dish (about 8 – 9 inch diameter) with the biscuit mixture. You could use a loose-bottomed cake tin if preferred. Chill this base in the fridge.
- Either remove the zest from the lemons and chop it finely, or grate off the zest if you like hard work.
- Cut the lemons in half and juice them. Strain the juice.
- In a large bowl whip the cream until firm peaks form.
- Fold into the cream the condensed milk, and lemon zest.
- Slowly add the lemon juice – mix carefully. The mixture will begin to firm up a little.
- Pour the lemon mixture onto the chilled biscuit base and return this to the fridge.
- Once the pudding is thoroughly chilled (a couple of hours) either serve it up or decorate with strawberries or grated chocolate. Another option is to layer sliced strawberries between the base and the lemon topping.
This pudding is not as firm as a cheesecake – more of a slightly sloppy, tiramisu type of texture, so servings will not be perfect-looking slices, but they will taste delicious!
For more information about the Horsham Gingerbread Bakehouse visit: https://horshamgingerbread.co.uk/
For more Sussex recipes, you may like: